Buttermilk Syrup

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

| | |



Pancake syrup has been a battle in my house for years… always forget to buy it and when the budget was honored the cheap stuff was the only way to go… that stuff is watery and gross but everyone insisted on it. When the kids were little I could get by with applesauce or honey when we had it but as they got older and picker, it was pancake syrup…

A few years ago when the anti processed food bug hit me I would make our own.. brown sugar, water and Karo  syrup… it was good… but I knew it wasn’t any better than the stuff at the store.. so when I came across this recipe and everyone scarffed it up I was finished with my search for the perfect syrup…





Don’t turn up your nose at the thought of buttermilk in syrup… not until you try it once..
In a large pot put in your sugar, buttermilk and butter… why a large pot? You’ll see why in a bit



Heat on low heat till butter is melted..



And once it starts to boil let it cook while stirring for about 3 to 4 minutes.. if you let it go past this ( and I have several more times than I like to admit) say about 6 or 7 minutes the sugar becomes “burned” and your syrup becomes caramel like.. perfect for ice cream or if you want a variation with your syrup…



Add one teaspoon of baking soda…  what does this do you ask? Beats me.. when I find out I will let you know.. and watch.. your syrup with foam up twice it’s size… this is why you need a large pot… other wise half your syrup will be on your stove. Remove from heat and set aside



Keep stirring until cooled slightly
Enjoy on pancakes!


Recipe
1 cup sugar
½ cup buttermilk
1 stick butter  ½ cup
1 teaspoon baking soda
In large pot heat butter, sugar and buttermilk to boiling.. let boil 3 minutes add baking soda , remove from heat .
Serve warm over pancakes or ice cream.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

free counters