Granola

Friday, October 21, 2011

| | |






Ohh how I love granola… One of my earliest memories is sitting on the deck in Jacksonville ridge and having a bowl of granola that Mama had made and picking out only the raisins and pecans… when I had polished those off I handed the bowl back to Mama  asking for more.. there was probably at least two cups of oats and sunflower seeds still left and she told me to  eat the rest before I got more…

That bowl was probably left on the deck as I ran off to catch some peep peeps and wallow in the mud.. I couldn’t wait till I grew up so I could put in the granola what I wanted..


Every now and then I would go hunting for a recipe that would be feasible  for my lazy self.. and for some reason the thought of cooking something at 250 for umpteen hours just didn’t sound inviting.. a lot can happen in several hours… and to be by the stove for that long in the beginning of the day just wouldn’t work out.. and in the evening when I am tied to the stove there was no way I could throw in one more thing to make with dinner.. so I gave up..


I must not have looked very hard for a recipe because in the past two days I have found at least three where it only takes 30 minutes of baking or maybe the thought of spending over five dollars for a box of granola that only has about 2 cups of processed goodness motivated me to look better.


So here is my conclusion to the breakfast recipes this week….


I changed some things with the original slightly and then completely forgot to add the oil.. Which after researching, is perfectly fine if you want to just use it for cereal or in yogurt.. They say it makes it more crunchy but I doubled my pecans so I think the oil from them should be enough.. I also don’t like something sweet for breakfast so I used less honey and sugar and just let the cranberries be enough



You’re never getting another dime from me you off brand granola cereal makers



Dump all but the dried fruit in your mixing bowl.. Don’t forget the oil!!



Mix well and spread thin on a cookie sheet


Bake for 20 to 30 mins stirring halfway through



Let cool and then add your fruit..




Granola
3 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
2 cup Pecan Halves, Whole Or Chopped (or any 2 cups of nuts of your choice)
3 tablespoons Honey
cup Canola Or Vegetable Oil
¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 cup cranberries  (or any cup of dried fruit of your choice)
 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
 
Combine all the ingredients except the dried fruit.
 Spread the oat and nut mixture onto a sheet pan.
 
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring halfway through. It should be a nice, nutty-golden color.
Allow it to cool completely on a sheet pan.
Once it is cool, transfer to a large bowl and add in the dried fruit. Stir to combine.

Enjoy or store in an air tight container.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

When your mother made her granola, her teeth were beginning to get old...so she didnt put those raisins in till the whole shebang came out of the overn..cause baking them made the raisins too hard for old teeth.

Mountain Mama with old teeth

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

free counters