Granola Bread

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

| | |


Note: I forgot  to go off on my tangent about store bought granola... then I remembered I already did, and it came with a handy dandy printable recipe... Granola recipe   

I’m on a bread baking roll…
I already have a roll from cookies, a roll from pies… and a roll from butter…
My roll are getting lopsided so I need to even them out..
I am talking about fat rolls to all the skinny people… never mind you haven’t heard of those yet…

I love the idea of being able to pull out dough from the fridge, shaping it and having fresh baked bread for dinner… company is coming… husband had a bad day… the wind is blowing in from the east… every excuse to have warm bread…

I have a little list of breads I want to make..
Potato garlic bread
Cheddar bread
Pita bread
Bagels ( need to find the perfect recipe)
Oatmeal pumpkin bread
 Granola bread

I am on a mission to make our food fulfilling.. to be nutritious… and lasting..
And to make the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches more inviting.

Granola bread seems to be the ticket for that.



Warm water



Yeast



Sugar ( I ran out of honey making the granola)



Oil



Flour



Salt



Granola




Mix well and let sit for several hours until doubled



This dough is pretty stiff.. and doesn’t spread out like my moses bread sometimes does… so I smear a little oil on the counter and there rests my shaped loaf
Once an one hour or one and half (depending on if the dough was refrigerated or not) is up place dough on





 Preheated pizza stone..





Bake till done.. Usually 30 minutes.. depending on your oven..
If you have a meat thermometer shove it in the side and when the temp reaches 195 your bread is done… there is a whole science to that,  the yeast finally dies off at that temp yadda yadda yadda but I won’t go into that.




Granola bread
This recipe can be easily doubled or halved…

2 cups warm water
1½ Tablespoons yeast
½ cup honey (or ¼ cup of sugar)
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon salt
4 cups white flour, or 2 ½ cups of white & 1 ½ cups of whole wheat
2 cups of granola
Mix water, yeast, honey, and oil in 5 quart mixing bowl.
Mix in the flour, granola and salt without kneading, using a spoon.
Cover (not airtight) and allow to rest at room temperature until dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top), about 2 hours.
The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, though it is easier to handle when cold.. Refrigerate in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days.
On baking day, grease your counter or pizza peel dust your dough with flour and divide dough in half.. Shape dough into a ball and allow to rest and rise for 1½ hours (or just one hour if you’re using fresh unrefrigerated dough).
Preheat oven with pizza stone on middle shelf to 400 degrees.  Slid dough onto pizza stone and bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until richly brown and firm.
Try not to eat the whole loaf in one sitting. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

free counters