Homemade Pasta

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

| | |






Want to feel like your lazy? Want to feel like you’re wasting good money on processed food?


Make some pasta…

Not only are you using pure ingredients you are finding out how easy it is to make a noodle that surpasses any noodle you can buy at the store…
Even though I won’t be able to make penne or macaroni, I can easy do lasagna, fettuccini, and spaghetti noodles… yes… it does take time.. you can’t just open a box and pour it into boiling water, but it is just time you are sacrificing, not your  wallet or energy.


I want to veer off on a little tangent here… so bare with me as I get up on my soap box and be “mean” to some housewives out there…
No one wants to waste anytime… or effort on cooking… I know I come off most of the time as an arrogant food snob because it isn’t that hard to put some flour and eggs in a bowl and pull out a four layer cake 3 hours later… I know that concept is lost on a few… but I am speaking to the ones who I know can… “It’s too hot outside” or “ I am pregnant”  or “ My husband didn’t come home and wash dishes last night so I can’t”  if you truly want to do something you can do it… no matter if your sweat dripping into the batter  or you had to wash some dishes first… a little hard work won’t do you any harm… and don’t try and think that you bragging that you can’t cook will earn you any stars from me… your husband, and your kids will thank you more than I could ever…


Ok now that I have done my part in trying to get women back into the kitchen (where they belong) I shall continue on with the pasta…



The rule of thumb here is one cup of flour to two eggs…



Flour, you can add some salt to the flour if you like




Make a well and add your eggs



Now comes the fun and exciting part… where if the phone rings oh well… someone needs you to sew their leg back on… they will have to wait… You start mixing the eggs and flour… with your hands.. start with a little flour from the sides over the eggs….



Then start mixing lightly with your fingers…



I like to pinch the egg yolks ….



Scoop more flour over the eggs with the sides of your bear paws…




I feel so helpless when my hands are filled with stuff and I am unable to pick my teeth or nose.



Slowly getting there



It is starting to look more like a ball of dough not crumbles of flour



Start your kneading process here… you don’t want to add much more flour as that will toughen up your noodles..



Dough is smooth… ok not perfectly smooth but smooth enough.



Wrap dough in plastic and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes , or cover with a cloth and leave on counter.


Now here is where I became a lazy blogger… yes I have a pasta roller.. no I did not take pictures of me rolling the sheets out… why you ask?
Ask the four kids… they will inform you that at this time Mama was very tired and mean and had enough of their attitudes that day…



But I did take a picture of my sheets laying on the counter.. ( I was making the lasagna in a previous post)
Once you have the sheets you can then cut them for spaghetti or fettuccini



Boil in salted water for 2 to 3 minutes…



In the next few days I plan on making raviolis and will then show you more of the rolling process..    

1 comments:

Isaac'swife said...

yes this post does make me feel lazy!
Looks great Sarah, can't wait to see your ravooli post

~~Becky

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

free counters