Peach Pie

Friday, September 16, 2011

| | |



What do you do when someone gives you a bucket of peaches??

Well if your like me you put them on the counter and at least ten times a day walk past them and think to yourself … ‘ I have to do something with those’

You make peach pie!!!

Yup… you’ve guessed it.. my latest obsession is pies… in the spring it was  cookies… now pies…

So I went on a search for the best peach pie recipe… I wanted something that wouldn’t run… that wouldn’t be so sweet that my teeth were on edge for the rest of the day..
Over all something I could sit down and eat the whole pie and enjoy it till the last bite..
Nada… or maybe I was looking in the wrong direction.. or something but I came up with a variation of four cups of sliced peaches.. two cups of sugar… ack!!! Then 8 cups of peaches and peach jello..  nope… so I took ends and pieces of what I wanted and came up with a naturally sweetened pie that holds together and I think you can do pretty much any fresh fruit with…
Side note:  Peaches and banana’s have a nasty habit of turning brown once the air hit them… so  you need ascorbic acid..( lemon juice) .. I read somewhere if you put your peaches and banana’s 7-up for a few minutes it stops this from happening too but I never have that around so I used lemon juice in the pie to keep the peaches nice and bright… no one wants to eat a brown pie… Orange juice does the job too..


So here we have our ingredients…  I did a crumb topping and then a double crust.. I was going to show the crumb crust being made but the words of my sister rang in my head… “ If you don’t know how to cream butter and sugar together by now you’re an IDIOT!!” and I was feeling a wee bit lazy and decided to let the idiots flounder about in their own kitchen… I was doing a fine job floundering about in mine.

All but the crust dumped in the bowl… mix well..


I love the site of butter… no diamond would make me swoon like a pat of butter does..

The light bouncing off the peaches makes it almost a shame to bake them...

Bake forever… and then let cool and enjoy…

Those little pockets of jelled fruit on a pie was a weakness of mine as a child...


Recipe:
6 cups of sliced peaches
3/4 cup of sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of butter

Pie crust

Directions:
Mix all ingredients aside from crust and butter
Roll out pie crust and pour peaches in, dot with butter… cover with another pie crust or top with a crumb crust… or leave plain…
Bake @ 400 F for 35 minutes then lower heat to 350 and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes till crust is brown.
Let cool for one hour and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews

free counters